Fire officials say 28-year-old Shawn Apperson was trapped in a bedroom basement of his home Tuesday after helping his fiance and their 11-month-old baby climb out a window. He didn't fit through the window and was later found by firefighters.
Firefighters and neighbors also rescued three other children from the home in the Hillyard neighborhood.
Fire Chief Bobby Williams told The Spokesman-Review the fire was started by smoking materials that smoldered after a house guest left for work.
Apperson is in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
More Northwest Headlines
State suspends operations of duck tour company Sheriff’s office: Mill Creek hiker falls to death near North Bend Authorities Identify 5Th Student Killed In Seattle Bus Crash McMorris Rodgers won’t run for House majority leader Officials: Lakewood’s Western State Hospital could lose federal funds Former Oregon college football player pleads guilty to manslaughter Seattle man arrested in fatal weekend fight Oregon medical marijuana dispensaries gear up for rec sales
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.