At first glance, they may look familiar. But a closer look at the recipe will reveal a contemporary twist: lemon bars with paprika? Don't worry: It adds a festive zing. Click here for the recipe.
Keep checking back. I bet there's at least one cookie that you won't be able to resist.
These six steps from Rick Nelson of the Star Tribune in Minneapolis will ensure success ever time.
1. Proceed with caution. To avoid mishaps, read the recipe from start to finish -- twice -- before beginning. Many recipes require the dough to be refrigerated for a period of time.
2. Shop carefully. Many recipes use large eggs and all-purpose flour, unless otherwise noted. Invest in fresh baking powder, baking soda and spices.
3. Equip your kitchen. Use flat, shiny, rimless and insulated medium- to heavy-gauge aluminum baking sheets. Eliminate greasy baking sheets by using parchment paper or reusable silicon (such as Silpat) baking mats.
4. Measure carefully. Spoon flour and powdered sugar into the measuring cup (rather than using the measuring cup as a scoop) and level ingredients with a straight edge, such as a knife. Soften butter at room temperature until a light touch leaves a slight indentation, about 30 to 45 minutes.
5. Bake evenly. Preheat the oven for at least 20 minutes. Adjust baking rack to the oven's middle position. For true accuracy, invest in an oven thermometer. Use one baking sheet at a time in the oven, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking time. Cool baking sheets completely between batches either by alternating among several cookie sheets or running hot ones under cold water.
6. Store wisely. Most cookies remain fresh for up to a week when stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Use separate containers to store different types of cookies.
More Life Headlines
Taylor wins, Miley flashes and Kanye rants Today in history Five great bike rides in the boondocks of Europe Around the home there are plenty of fun uses for old doors Tips for taking great back-to-school photos Chips with the flavor of a deli Hit the jackpot with this app Chia products for the family
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.