The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Mountlake Terrace house fire blamed on cigarette

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
Herald staff
Published:
MOUNTLAKE TERRACE -- A cigarette sparked a house fire Saturday that caused $110,000 in damage and displaced the home's two occupants, Snohomish County Fire District 1 reported.
Neighbors called 911 just before noon after they saw smoke coming from the house in the 5700 block of 239th Place SW, spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
Crews arrived to find the fire in one of the home's bedrooms and quickly put it out, Hynes said. Though fire damage was contained to the room, the smoke left heavy damage throughout the house.
The Shoreline Fire Department assisted District 1 crews.
No one was inside the house at the time and nobody was injured during the response, Hynes said. The fire displaced a man and woman who rent the house.
A fire investigator determined a cigarette ignited combustibles in the bedroom, she said.
Cigarettes and other smoking materials such as cigars and pipes are the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States, according to the National Fire Protection Agency.
Story tags » Mountlake TerraceFire

More Local News Headlines

NEWSLETTER

HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates

Calendar