Neighbors called 911 just before noon after they saw smoke coming from the house in the 5700 block of 239th Place SW, spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
Crews arrived to find the fire in one of the home's bedrooms and quickly put it out, Hynes said. Though fire damage was contained to the room, the smoke left heavy damage throughout the house.
The Shoreline Fire Department assisted District 1 crews.
No one was inside the house at the time and nobody was injured during the response, Hynes said. The fire displaced a man and woman who rent the house.
A fire investigator determined a cigarette ignited combustibles in the bedroom, she said.
Cigarettes and other smoking materials such as cigars and pipes are the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States, according to the National Fire Protection Agency.
More Local News Headlines
Lobsang Dargey company denies wrongdoing in alleged fraud Study: Merge county’s SNOPAC and SNOCOM dispatch centers Sound Transit’s wish list of Snohomish County projects grows PUD replacing county’s aging electrical systems Evergreen fair wants to be greenest event of its kind in country Front Porch: Celebrate recovery Evergreen State Fair judging results Objection delays release of records in school shootings
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.