Sounders 2013 opener set for March 2; Alonso training with EPL club
We already know Seattle will be without two players for that game--midfielder Osvaldo Alonso, who received a red card after the final whistle of Seattle's last playoff game for confronting an official (he was already on a yellow card), and Marc Burch, who was handed a three-game suspension for using a gay slur towards an opponent).
And speaking of Alonso, the team confirmed Tuesday that he is in England training for a week with English Premier League club West Ham United. Alonso and Steve Zakuani both trained in England with Everton two years ago in the offseason, and this by no means Alonso has one foot out the door--it's pretty common for players to train with other teams in their offseason, sometimes even playing for them on loan, then return to their team--but it is yet another sign that teams at higher levels are aware of Alonso's talents. One of the league's best defensive midfielders, Alonso has been name Seattle's MVP three times, been an MLS All Star twice, and this year he was named to the MLS Best XI.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Kam Chancellor "remarkably looked great" in Seahawks' pre Super Bowl walk-through Jan. 31
- Pool report on the Seahawks' Friday practice, including more on Kam Chancellor injury Jan. 30
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell weighs in on criticism from Richard Sherman and Marshawn Lynch's aversion to media Jan. 30
- Seahawks-Patriots final injury report of Super Bowl week Jan. 30
- Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick spend 30 minutes heaping praise on each other Jan. 30
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.