The man remained in critical condition Wednesday at a Seattle hospital, officials said.
The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. at the man's home along 130th Street NE, north of town. Investigators believe there was a malfunction in the power cord connected to an oil-filled heater in a bedroom on the second floor. The cord overheated and ignited items nearby.
The fire was contained to the second floor, officials said. The house also sustained heavy damage from smoke and water.
Crews believe the man may have been trying to extinguish the fire when he suffered smoke inhalation and possible burns.
No other injuries were reported.
More Local News Headlines
Index Town Council candidate losing one race, winning another as a write-in Shoplifting suspects in Monroe return for milk, get busted Council OKs county budget; tax collection for courthouse to continue Herald reporter awarded for ‘compelling’ mental health story Students, Rotary bring Thanksgiving meals to Everett’s needy Front Porch: Free Navy Band concert Hollywood swoops in to pay ‘Barefoot Bandit’ restitution Regional water supply back to normal, utilities say
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.