The man remained in critical condition Wednesday at a Seattle hospital, officials said.
The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. at the man's home along 130th Street NE, north of town. Investigators believe there was a malfunction in the power cord connected to an oil-filled heater in a bedroom on the second floor. The cord overheated and ignited items nearby.
The fire was contained to the second floor, officials said. The house also sustained heavy damage from smoke and water.
Crews believe the man may have been trying to extinguish the fire when he suffered smoke inhalation and possible burns.
No other injuries were reported.
More Local News Headlines
Everett teens were shot because one wore blue, police say 2:11 p.m. State attorneys are investigating Eyman's use of initiative money Family recognized for operating same small farm for 127 years Panel gives green light to unfair labor practices case against Roe Painter Elizabeth Webber leaves a legacy of faith, courage and art 3:07 p.m. People who live along lakes can make a difference to protect them 2 papal parades, more passes available after ticket outcry 3:05 p.m. Opportunities
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.