The man remained in critical condition Wednesday at a Seattle hospital, officials said.
The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. at the man's home along 130th Street NE, north of town. Investigators believe there was a malfunction in the power cord connected to an oil-filled heater in a bedroom on the second floor. The cord overheated and ignited items nearby.
The fire was contained to the second floor, officials said. The house also sustained heavy damage from smoke and water.
Crews believe the man may have been trying to extinguish the fire when he suffered smoke inhalation and possible burns.
No other injuries were reported.
More Local News Headlines
Warm waters bring more restrictions on salmon fishing in Tulalip Little is known about bull kelp, which nearly all marine life here relies on Sound Transit succumbs to ‘cost of doing business’ Stanwood-Camano fair expands activities for children Two seek to oust Noble from Edmonds School Board seat Paine Field passenger flights resound with Mukilteo voters Front Porch: Camano Island Library grand opening Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.