The man remained in critical condition Wednesday at a Seattle hospital, officials said.
The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. at the man's home along 130th Street NE, north of town. Investigators believe there was a malfunction in the power cord connected to an oil-filled heater in a bedroom on the second floor. The cord overheated and ignited items nearby.
The fire was contained to the second floor, officials said. The house also sustained heavy damage from smoke and water.
Crews believe the man may have been trying to extinguish the fire when he suffered smoke inhalation and possible burns.
No other injuries were reported.
More Local News Headlines
‘Unprecedented’ wind storm: 23K in county still without power 6:39 p.m. Objection delays release of records in school shootings Victims’ families want full account of shootings, lawyer says 5:28 p.m. Cost overruns, location, parking needs put courthouse on hold Clarence Robertson volunteered for 56 years as a reserve deputy 5-story building in Mill Creek would include affordable housing Island County undersheriff resigning to care for his children Front Porch: Light a candle for a loved one
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.