The man remained in critical condition Wednesday at a Seattle hospital, officials said.
The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. at the man's home along 130th Street NE, north of town. Investigators believe there was a malfunction in the power cord connected to an oil-filled heater in a bedroom on the second floor. The cord overheated and ignited items nearby.
The fire was contained to the second floor, officials said. The house also sustained heavy damage from smoke and water.
Crews believe the man may have been trying to extinguish the fire when he suffered smoke inhalation and possible burns.
No other injuries were reported.
More Local News Headlines
With legalization, fatal crashes involving marijuana 'spiked' Volunteers survey sea stars to monitor devastating disease Incentives draw PUD customers to solar power Upgrades would add to Edmonds waterfront parkís attractions 7:32 a.m. Man held in Arlington shooting incident Front Porch: Money available to nonprofits to boost tourism in Snohomish Qwuloolt Estuary Projectís goal: Return of the wild salmon Anonymous records request seeks data from 1,000 county phones
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.