The man remained in critical condition Wednesday at a Seattle hospital, officials said.
The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. at the man's home along 130th Street NE, north of town. Investigators believe there was a malfunction in the power cord connected to an oil-filled heater in a bedroom on the second floor. The cord overheated and ignited items nearby.
The fire was contained to the second floor, officials said. The house also sustained heavy damage from smoke and water.
Crews believe the man may have been trying to extinguish the fire when he suffered smoke inhalation and possible burns.
No other injuries were reported.
More Local News Headlines
Former sergeant admits he helped launder prostitution money Brief visit by Obama expected to snarl Seattle traffic Possible norovirus outbreak at Colby living facility Shirley Gilbertson loved her temp job so much, she stayed on for free Conferees shape leaner budget for military pay, benefits Front Porch: Jackson volleyball hosts fundraiser Applause In Uniform
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.