The man remained in critical condition Wednesday at a Seattle hospital, officials said.
The fire broke out about 11:30 a.m. at the man's home along 130th Street NE, north of town. Investigators believe there was a malfunction in the power cord connected to an oil-filled heater in a bedroom on the second floor. The cord overheated and ignited items nearby.
The fire was contained to the second floor, officials said. The house also sustained heavy damage from smoke and water.
Crews believe the man may have been trying to extinguish the fire when he suffered smoke inhalation and possible burns.
No other injuries were reported.
More Local News Headlines
Study says Paine Field should be used for business, not museum Judge says molestation trial of former police sergeant can proceed 2 arrested in fatal shooting of teen near Lynnwood 5:48 p.m. Tamper-proof cigarette bins may cut down on litter in downtown Everett Copper-wire theft knocks out power near Cathcart 6:28 p.m. 'The voice of reason': Mill Creek Police Chief Bob Crannell to retire Camano Island Fire and Rescue seeks volunteers; meeting Oct. 13 Arlington man identified as rider in fatal motorcycle crash
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.