The demolition must be completed by March, city spokeswoman Kate Reardon said. Permits have been issued for a protective walkway in the area during the work.
The fire broke out in the evening at the McCrossen Building, just west of Comcast Arena on Hewitt Avenue. It housed apartments, a restaurant and shops.
Michael D. Beard, 61, died from smoke inhalation. Investigators believe the fire started in his room. His death was ruled an accident.
The extent of the damage to the building meant there was too little information available to pinpoint a cause. There were no indications the fire was suspicious.
It's too early to tell how traffic will be affected during work at the site, Reardon said.
More Local News Headlines
Former sergeant admits he helped launder prostitution money Brief visit by Obama expected to snarl Seattle traffic Possible norovirus outbreak at Colby living facility Shirley Gilbertson loved her temp job so much, she stayed on for free Conferees shape leaner budget for military pay, benefits Front Porch: Jackson volleyball hosts fundraiser Applause In Uniform
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.