The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.

Published: Friday, January 4, 2013, 8:45 p.m.

State DNR seizes derelict ship

The 180-foot vessel docked at Port Ludlow since October will be towed to another location to be scrapped.

  • The derelict ship New Star is shown moored at the marina in Port Ludlow on Thursday. The 180-foot-long vessel, which has been docked in the marina sin...

    Peninsula Daily News / Charlie Bermant

    The derelict ship New Star is shown moored at the marina in Port Ludlow on Thursday. The 180-foot-long vessel, which has been docked in the marina since October, was seized by the Washington Department of Natural Resources, despite claims by the ship's owner that he was trying to develop a plan to have the ship moved elsewhere.

PORT LUDLOW -- The Washington Department of Natural Resources has seized a derelict ship that has been docked since Oct. 1 at Port Ludlow.
Officials met Friday to decide where on Puget Sound to tow the 180-foot ship so it can be scrapped in an environmentally sound manner, said Dennis Clark, regional aquatics manager for the department.
The ship is just a hulk, with its engines removed and no fuel on board.
The state stepped in Thursday after George Marincin, president of VicMar Inc. of Tacoma, was unable to carry out his plan to tow the ship to Mexico to be scrapped, the Peninsula Daily News reported Friday.
"I haven't abandoned this," Marincin told the paper. "I am still diligently pursuing it, and when I come up with a plan, I hope that the state will be gracious enough to let me pull it out of Port Ludlow myself."
State officials had hoped Marincin would be successful, but now they're tired of waiting and want to scrap the ship before it becomes more of a problem.
"The vessel is now in our custody," Clark said. "Mr. Marincin had three months to deal with the problem, and he did not do so."
The department gave Marincin a month's notice in December to move the ship or it would take ownership.
Marincin said he has lost more than $100,000 on the project, which originally called for the ship to be scrapped in Mexico and sold as scrap metal on the Asian market. He estimated it would be worth $85,000 to $90,000.
Now Marincin will be billed whatever it cost of the state to scrap the ship -- probably in the six figures, Clark said.

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

HeraldNet Classifieds