The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions
John McCartney and Herald staff |
Published: Saturday, January 5, 2013, 3:16 p.m.

Monkey business disrupts U.S. Embassy

  • A toque macaque monkey.

    A toque macaque monkey.

Diplomacy typically isn't monkey business, but the folks at the U.S. Embassy in Sri Lanka recently had their usual routine disrupted by a wandering primate.

The embassy invasion began on Dec. 20, when an an e-mail went out to employees of the facility in Colombo notifying them that the ground-floor doors were locked because a monkey was trapped in the building and instructing them to use alternate exits. "A little bit different than a Kabul 'lock down!'" observed one worker there whose previous tours of duty were perhaps a bit more dangerous.

We're unclear what kind of monkey it was, but speculation is that it was a toque macaque, a medium-sized specimen common in Sri Lanka that is generally harmless to humans, and, with a swirl of hair not dissimilar to Donald Trump's, pretty adorable.

There was apparently trouble when removing the visitor, because a plea soon went out for anyone with experience with wild animals (who says our diplomatic corps isn't a talented bunch?) to help out. The day ended with the monkey business still at hand.

Day Two of the siege ended happily, with the little fella (or perhaps it was a lady monkey, we're not sure) ultimately vaulting the embassy wall, urged on with bananas and encouraging shouts from burly Marines and a group of off-duty drivers on the scene.

We're told the creature landed in the old British High Commission compound. "Elvis has left the building," a staffer reported to a friend.

Chris Hensman, acting director of the State Department Press Office, confirmed the diplomatic visit, explaining that the unexpected guest had gotten stuck in the building's ventilation system. "The visitor eventually departed the building safely and unharmed after a 24-hour adventure," he said. "We thank the Sri Lanka Wildlife Department for their help with humanely resolving this issue."

Now, the intruder is apparently the Britons' problem.
Story tags » Animals

Sign up for HeraldNet headlines Newsletter
See sample | Privacy policy

Most recent Off the Wire posts

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

» More local news

HeraldNet highlights

Richard Sherman 2.0
Richard Sherman 2.0: Seahawks' star cornerback is equally effective with less bravado
Playing with all they have
Playing with all they have: Highland Christian girls compete, inspire with just 5 players
Wolf population growing
Wolf population growing: Chief concern about more wolves: Livestock attacks
$800K in scholarships, so far
$800K in scholarships, so far: Monroe High's Chloe Cook expects she’ll still need a job