The official online store of the presidential event opened Thursday, with wares ranging from a five-buck pin depicting the limo in which President Barack Obama will travel to a $7,500 set of silver, bronze and gold medallions bearing the profiles of Obama and Vice President Joe Biden (price includes a lovely decorative display box).
The website touts the merch as "the perfect way to remember an historic moment." But forget dusty collectibles; some of the stuff for sale is downright practical: One can stay toasty while taking in the swearing-in ceremony with a pair of tube socks that read "Obama 44" ($15) or toast the event from home with a set of champagne flutes emblazoned with the inaugural seal ($30) -- and there are beer and shot glasses for those who shun the bubbly.
Unsurprisingly, first dog Bo -- always a hit -- is featured on some of the goods, including pins stamped with either a paw print or an image of the pooch playing in the snow.
And lest anyone raise an eyebrow about outsourcing, most items are listed as "Made in the USA."
Link to the inauguration store.
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Police wait as suspect returns to burglary scene for lost keys, cellphone Sep. 15
- Muppet personal ads found on Ashley Madison Aug. 21
- Mayor seeks ban on personal flamethrowers Aug. 19
- Idaho replaces mile marker 420 with 419.9 to thwart stoners Aug. 18
- Guinness: 26-year-old cat in Oregon is world’s oldest alive Aug. 18
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.