Report: Seahawks to sign K Ryan Longwell
Just filed to ESPN: 15-year vet Ryan Longwell hasn't kicked this year but won tryout in Seattle and will sign with Seahawks— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) January 8, 2013
Longwell, 38, is a 15-year NFL veteran, but did not play this season. He spent the first nine years of his career in Green Bay, then played in Minnesota from 2006-2011. He has made 83.2 percent of his career field goal attempts, and was 22 for 28 (78.6 percent) in his final season with the Vikings.
The Seahawks have not yet announced the move, but the corresponding move they make to add Longwell to the roster could be telling. If Hauschka is placed on injured reserve, then obviously Longwell will be the kicker going forward in the playoffs. But Seattle could wait another couple of days to see how Hauschka recovers before deciding, because a roster spot will come available as soon as they place defensive end Chris Clemons on injured reserve. Seattle may, however, use that roster spot to sign another defensive end today or Wednesday.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Dempsey on Letterman, Sherman in the top 10, Seahawks set for the future and other Thursday links July 10
- Seahawks season tickets sold out. So is the waiting list July 9
- Russell Wilson on race and a few other Wednesday links July 9
- Naked Marshawn Lynch hits the newsstand and other Seahawks links July 8
- Kyle Seager calls All-Star selection a “dream come true” July 7
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.