Report: Seahawks to sign K Ryan Longwell
Just filed to ESPN: 15-year vet Ryan Longwell hasn't kicked this year but won tryout in Seattle and will sign with Seahawks— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) January 8, 2013
Longwell, 38, is a 15-year NFL veteran, but did not play this season. He spent the first nine years of his career in Green Bay, then played in Minnesota from 2006-2011. He has made 83.2 percent of his career field goal attempts, and was 22 for 28 (78.6 percent) in his final season with the Vikings.
The Seahawks have not yet announced the move, but the corresponding move they make to add Longwell to the roster could be telling. If Hauschka is placed on injured reserve, then obviously Longwell will be the kicker going forward in the playoffs. But Seattle could wait another couple of days to see how Hauschka recovers before deciding, because a roster spot will come available as soon as they place defensive end Chris Clemons on injured reserve. Seattle may, however, use that roster spot to sign another defensive end today or Wednesday.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Pete Carroll on loss of 2015 minicamp days: 'We don't want to be doing things wrong' Aug. 27
- Mariners sign GM Jack Zduriencik to multi-year extension Aug. 26
- Seahawks, Pete Carroll fined for violating offseason no-contact rules Aug. 26
- Seahawks' Richard Sherman on rules: 'We didn't adjust anything' Aug. 26
- Seahawks trim roster to 75 Aug. 26
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.