Just filed to ESPN: 15-year vet Ryan Longwell hasn't kicked this year but won tryout in Seattle and will sign with Seahawks— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) January 8, 2013
Longwell, 38, is a 15-year NFL veteran, but did not play this season. He spent the first nine years of his career in Green Bay, then played in Minnesota from 2006-2011. He has made 83.2 percent of his career field goal attempts, and was 22 for 28 (78.6 percent) in his final season with the Vikings.
The Seahawks have not yet announced the move, but the corresponding move they make to add Longwell to the roster could be telling. If Hauschka is placed on injured reserve, then obviously Longwell will be the kicker going forward in the playoffs. But Seattle could wait another couple of days to see how Hauschka recovers before deciding, because a roster spot will come available as soon as they place defensive end Chris Clemons on injured reserve. Seattle may, however, use that roster spot to sign another defensive end today or Wednesday.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks sign draft picks Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett May 26
- Pete Carroll on Russell Wilson contract talks May 26
- Notes from Seahawks’ first OTA of the offseason May 26
- Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham and Cliff Avril to miss Seahawks’ first OTA May 26
- Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham shares his inspirational story May 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.