The first fire was reported just before 5:30 a.m. in the 17400 block of Mountain View Road SE.
A person living at the home was alerted by smoke alarms and found a fire in the kitchen, officials said.
He called 911 and attempted to put out the fire with the kitchen faucet sprayer.
Firefighters cut open the exterior wall and put the fire out. Firefighters determined the fire was ignited by an electrical short caused by a nail that penetrated electrical wiring. Damage was estimated at $1,500.
The second fire was reported around 1:45 p.m. in the 17000 block of 157th Street SE. That fire was caused by holiday lighting on a Christmas tree. There was extensive smoke damage but minor structural damage, officials said. The total loss is estimated at $90,000.
"This is a great time to remind people that holiday lighting is meant to be temporary, and extended use may result in fires," Monroe fire marshal Michael Fitzgerald said. "Live Christmas trees must be watered, and should be removed from the home following the holiday."
The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the people living in the home with temporary housing and clothing.
Both homes were insured.
More Local News Headlines
Three weeks out, only four 911 texts have been valid County deputy director named president of state engineers association Accident victim has endured, thanks to his family, police officer Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River 4:03 p.m. State’s oldest full-time worker on the job at EdCC Lord Hill levee repairs to start July 29 Less than a week before election, only 9.1 percent of ballots returned Red Cross on the lookout for heroes
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.