The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

$40K to family of teen in barracks overdose

TACOMA -- A lawsuit settlement means the family of a Lakewood teenager who died from a drug overdose in 2009 in a Fort Lewis barracks will receive $40,000 from the U.S. government and a security contractor.
The New Tribune reported that lawyers for 16-year-old Leah King's mother determined they had a limited chance of winning the lawsuit after an August decision from a federal judge who dismissed the security firm from the case.
The agreement called on the government to pay Katherine King $35,000 and former Fort Lewis security contractor Doyon to contribute another $5,000.
A Doyon lawyer said the company agreed to participate in the settlement to avoid an appeal.
In 2010, Pvt. Timothy Bennitt was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for "aiding and abetting" his girlfriend's use of the painkiller oxymorphone and anxiety pill Xanax. He was sentenced to nearly six years.
Story tags » TacomaArmy

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

HeraldNet Classifieds
SOSEScript: adiciojobs failed executing with the following error: Error on line 4 position 1: The operation timed out