Snohomish County Fire District 26 responded to a fire call at about 6 p.m. Saturday at 126 Second St. in Gold Bar. Before the fire department arrived, patrons of a nearby restaurant tried to rescue the man, but were driven back by heat and smoke, said District 26 spokesman Eric Andrews.
Volunteer firefighters from Gold Bar Fire District 26 were joined by those from Sultan Fire District 5. The firefighters broke through the front door of the home, fighting flames until they found the occupant. The man was carried outside, where crews began CPR. Paramedics treated the patient at the scene and then took him to Harborview. The fire appears to be accidental, Andrews said.
The home did not have any working smoke alarm. Fire District 26 and most fire districts in the county offer free smoke alarms, batteries, alarm installation and testing, Andrews said. There is no excuse not to have a smoke alarm, he said.
More Local News Headlines
Contract for Snohomish Co. Jail to take Seattle inmates approved 4:26 p.m. Voters overwhelmingly chose Sultan's newest councilman, 21 Woman struck by car on Highway 99 in Edmonds 3:40 p.m. Hearing set on car allowances for Snohomish County officials Burn ban lifted in Snohomish County — except Darrington Mukilteo School District ponders change as enrollment continues to surge Monroe High's Cameron Lee wants to pursue theater, music interests Community Calendar
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.