That said, I believe Everett winger Joshua Winquist deserves some recognition for the week he just had. The 19-year-old from St. Albert, Alberta, had four goals and five assists in four games, which is probably the best week put together by a Silvertip this season. He topped it off by scoring his first career hat trick in Sunday's 4-0 victory at Vancouver, and his efforts helped Everett go 3-1 last week. Winquist has 13 points in eight games in January.
Winquist leads Everett in both goals and points, despite missing a number of games earlier in the season. I've mentioned this before on live blogs, but I'm not sure I've mentioned in a regular post: Winquist's career, at least numbers wise, almost exactly tracks that of former Tips winger Shane Harper. Here's their scoring totals by age:
16 -- 6-4-10
17 -- 3-12-15
18 -- 7-26-43
19 -- 32-34-66
20 -- 42-38-80
16 -- 3-4-7
17 -- 8-16-24
18 -- 19-22-41
19 -- 21-15-36 in 35 games
Harper ended up being named Everett's co-MVP in his 19-year-old season and the MVP outright as an overager. At this rate, Winquist has a chance to do the same.
Harper finished with 214 points in his Everett career. Winquist currently has 108 with a season-and-a-third till to play. So:
Most recent Silvertips blog posts
- Could Seattle still be in the running for an NHL expansion franchise? Nov. 23
- Everett Silvertips fall to Calgary Hitmen in shootout Nov. 21
- Everett Silvertips at Calgary Hitmen live blog Nov. 21
- Sutter's goal not enough as Medicine Hat Tigers top Everett Silvertips Nov. 20
- Medicine Hat legend Bob Ridley calls tonight's Tigers-Silvertips game Nov. 20
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.