The fire apparently was started by an accident with a reading lamp.
"This was the type of lamp you can clip to a shelf or headboard. It appears the lamp came loose and landed on the victim's bed in the living room," said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
The fire was reported about 6 p.m. at Gateway Apartments along 240th Street SW.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire and found the body inside, she said.
Police and fire investigators were called to the scene. Officials were not releasing information about the victim pending identification by the medical examiner.
A cat also died in the fire, which was confined to one apartment, Hynes said.
People who live in the apartment complex were allowed to return to their homes at about 11:30 p.m.
View Fatal fire, 1-21-2013 in a larger map
More Local News Headlines
Contract for Snohomish Co. Jail to take Seattle inmates approved Woman struck by car on Highway 99 in Edmonds Burn ban lifted in Snohomish County — except Darrington Mukilteo School District ponders change as enrollment continues to surge Voters overwhelmingly chose Sultan's newest councilman, 21 Hearing set on car allowances for Snohomish County officials Monroe High's Cameron Lee wants to pursue theater, music interests Community Calendar
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.