The fire apparently was started by an accident with a reading lamp.
"This was the type of lamp you can clip to a shelf or headboard. It appears the lamp came loose and landed on the victim's bed in the living room," said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
The fire was reported about 6 p.m. at Gateway Apartments along 240th Street SW.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire and found the body inside, she said.
Police and fire investigators were called to the scene. Officials were not releasing information about the victim pending identification by the medical examiner.
A cat also died in the fire, which was confined to one apartment, Hynes said.
People who live in the apartment complex were allowed to return to their homes at about 11:30 p.m.
View Fatal fire, 1-21-2013 in a larger map
More Local News Headlines
No answers more than 9 years after mother and daughter were murdered Neighbors band together to fight construction of 112 homes 14 nonprofits have launched an online initiative to seek donations Teen who sprayed mace at clerk said crime ‘looked easy’ on TV Public meeting: State parks leaders review past, ponder future Christian rocker shares lessons of grace from his own life Community Transit to expand Snohomish County routes in March Arlington man’s death in Camano Island fire deemed suicide
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.