The fire apparently was started by an accident with a reading lamp.
"This was the type of lamp you can clip to a shelf or headboard. It appears the lamp came loose and landed on the victim's bed in the living room," said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
The fire was reported about 6 p.m. at Gateway Apartments along 240th Street SW.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire and found the body inside, she said.
Police and fire investigators were called to the scene. Officials were not releasing information about the victim pending identification by the medical examiner.
A cat also died in the fire, which was confined to one apartment, Hynes said.
People who live in the apartment complex were allowed to return to their homes at about 11:30 p.m.
View Fatal fire, 1-21-2013 in a larger map
More Local News Headlines
Homeless man gets 30 years in Edmonds stabbing of pizza driver 4:31 p.m. Boy, 15, arrested for shooting brother, 11, in Everett Annual food and toy drive looking for volunteers in Monroe Festival of Trees all about helping children Schools that canceled or cut classes after storm must add a day Front Porch: Christmas soup supper on Camano Everett police arrest man for passing $50,000 in bogus checks Contract approved: Snohomish County Jail to take Seattle inmates
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.