The fire apparently was started by an accident with a reading lamp.
"This was the type of lamp you can clip to a shelf or headboard. It appears the lamp came loose and landed on the victim's bed in the living room," said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
The fire was reported about 6 p.m. at Gateway Apartments along 240th Street SW.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire and found the body inside, she said.
Police and fire investigators were called to the scene. Officials were not releasing information about the victim pending identification by the medical examiner.
A cat also died in the fire, which was confined to one apartment, Hynes said.
People who live in the apartment complex were allowed to return to their homes at about 11:30 p.m.
View Fatal fire, 1-21-2013 in a larger map
More Local News Headlines
When he saw his neighbor’s home on fire, Kaiden, 17, didn’t hesitate Edmonds hires firm to tackle downtown traffic snarl Family holds vigil for man who died in Island County Jail Free workshop covers Port Susan shoreline protection Teen shooting victim identified as Anthony Boro Front Porch: Fire districts open houses 2 arrested in fatal shooting of teen near Lynnwood Judge says molestation trial of former police sergeant can proceed
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.