The fire broke out about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday at the seven-story Life Manor Retirement Community.
The News Tribune reported that firefighters say a heavy metal fire door prevented flames from entering the residence hall.
Still, smoke filled the hallways of the building where more than 140 senior citizens live.
Firefighters called in a second alarm because more people were needed to help evacuate all the residents.
Fire Department spokesman Joe Meinecke says investigators believe the fire started near the dining room and activity room and was caused by electrical problems.
More Northwest Headlines
Assaults on staff at state psych hospital costing millions Everett man, 52, dies of natural causes in Skagit County jail Seattle Black Lives Matter protest draws hundreds Polar bear at Tacoma zoo dies; suffered from liver cancer Yakima might hire outside investigator for city employees Fleeing burglary suspect jumps in Puyallup River Farm recalls produce used in Costco salad linked to E. coli Oregon firefighters rescue owl tangled in fishing line
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.