The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 8:47 p.m.

Fire at Tacoma assisted-living center

TACOMA -- A smoky, early morning fire at a Tacoma, Wash., assisted living center sent 12 people to a hospital for treatment and destroyed an area housing the kitchen, dining room and activity room.
The fire broke out about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday at the seven-story Life Manor Retirement Community.
The News Tribune reported that firefighters say a heavy metal fire door prevented flames from entering the residence hall.
Still, smoke filled the hallways of the building where more than 140 senior citizens live.
Firefighters called in a second alarm because more people were needed to help evacuate all the residents.
Fire Department spokesman Joe Meinecke says investigators believe the fire started near the dining room and activity room and was caused by electrical problems.
Story tags » FireElderlyTacoma

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.