Vancouver Public Schools spokeswoman Pat Mattison told The Columbian that a fire department hazmat crew cleaned up a mixture of bleach and ammonia Thursday in a classroom. Mattison said a student brought the mixture and was showing it to another student when it spilled on the floor. Mixing bleach and ammonia can produce toxic fumes.
Clark County sheriff's Sgt. Fred Neiman said detectives arrested a 14-year-old freshman student for investigation of second-degree assault and reckless endangerment. The student was taken to juvenile detention. Neiman said no one else is being sought.
Hospital staffers say all nine people brought in for observation were later discharged.
More Northwest Headlines
Stanwood man pleads guilty to stealing from Swinomish tribe GOP lawmakers want Washington to look at Planned Parenthood Poll: Just 30 percent inclined to re-elect Gov. Inslee Death penalty dropped from Carnation killings trial Salvation Army sets up charging ports for Portland homeless Spokane criminal faces 30th felony charge Police: Couple charged in Seattle dog fighting operation Activists rappel off Oregon bridge to stop Shell icebreaker
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.