Like Idzik, Thomas' focus will be on the salary cap and contract negotiations, which was also his area of expertise over the last three years in Cleveland.
"Matt is a well-respected salary cap expert and was recommended by many top-ranking NFL executives," Seahawks general manager John Schneider said in a release. "I am excited to welcome him to our football family."
Thomas, who has a law degree from NYU, began his career with the Miami Dolphins in 1998 and spent 12 seasons with the club, spending 2009 as vice president/general counsel & football administration. He then spent three years as the Browns' Senior VP of Football Administration.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Fred Jackson and more: notes from Pete Carroll's press conference Sep. 1
- Seahawks reportedly in talks with RB Fred Jackson Sep. 1
- Jeanpierre cut, Norwood traded as Seahawks get down to 75 (updated) Aug. 31
- Reader poll: whither Kam Chancellor? Aug. 31
- Russell Wilson's agent talks contract negotiations on 710 ESPN Seattle May 28
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.