Terms of the contract were not announced, but reports from the Associated Press and CBS indicate it's a seven-year deal worth $175 million. Hernandez will sign the contract at a news conference at Safeco Field Wednesday afternoon.
The contract will make Hernandez the highest-paid pitcher in baseball. Hernandez is a three-time All-Star and 2010 American League Cy Young Award winner.
The Associated Press reports there had been speculation about an injury to Hernandez's pitching elbow that could be slowing the negotiations. Zduriencik said earlier in the day that a deal of that magnitude in years and dollars, "takes time to work things out."
Read more about it in the Associated Press report.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks sign draft picks Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett May 26
- Pete Carroll on Russell Wilson contract talks May 26
- Notes from Seahawks’ first OTA of the offseason May 26
- Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham and Cliff Avril to miss Seahawks’ first OTA May 26
- Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham shares his inspirational story May 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.