2. Calgary Roughnecks (5-3), Calgary didn't fall far, but only because the Roughnecks were able to salvage a 17-16 victory over Minnesota last Saturday. An 0-2 weekend would have dropped them a lot further. But the good news for Calgary is Shawn Evans is on pace for 108 points and the Roughnecks are 4-1 on the road, where they will be on Saturday when they face the Stealth.
3. Buffalo Bandits (4-3), As one of only three teams in the league above .500 the Bandits had to take the third spot, but who knows what to think of this team. Two weeks ago they got blown out by Rochester, only to come back last week and score a decisive 10-6 win over the Knighthawks. It remains to be seen if Buffalo can put it together week in and week out.
4. Edmonton Rush (3-4), After going 2-0 last weekend you have to give it to Edmonton. The record certainly isn't where the Rush would want it to be, but they are still one of the most talented teams in the league. The offense is getting better each week led by rookie Mark Matthews. The Rush are a team that could peak late just as they did a year ago.
5. Washington Stealth (4-4), This was tough for me to decide between five and six, so I gave it to the Stealth because, A) they have one more win and B) because I have the right to be a homer. That said, the Stealth have a big challenge this weekend in Calgary. A win puts the Stealth in a tie for first. A loss means the Stealth would have lost four of five and be headed in the wrong direction.
6. Rochester Knighthawks (3-4), Just when it looked like the defending champs were putting it together, they put up just six goals in a loss to Buffalo.
7. Minnesota Swarm (2-4), The good news, Minnesota is competitive almost every game they play. The bad news, they had an opportunity to knock off one of the best teams in the league and gave up three short-handed goals in the fourth quarter to fall to Calgary.
8. Philadelphia Wings (2-3), The Wings were idle last weekend, but at least a split with Rochester and Colorado this weekend. I am not withdrawing my endorsement of the Wings as my pick to win the title this season yet. But I'm reserving the right to do so soon.
9. Colorado Mammoth (2-4), For a second straight week, the Mammoth looked terrible in getting blown out. The Mammoth have some major problems that they need to address as they reach the halfway point in their schedule, otherwise, they could be on the outside looking in when the playoffs arrive.
Most recent Stealth blog posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.