They can save you a trip to the bank, the pharmacy or the grocery store and make it easy for you to stay in contact with relatives.
Libraries and senior centers across Snohomish County offer computer training for older adults. Classes include basic topics, such as email and the Internet, as well as introductions to more advanced topics, such as downloading music and movies, social networking and using an e-reader. Some are free; others offer discounts to senior center members. Here's a sampling of computer training resources in the area.
Computer Basics I
- March 5: 8:30 a.m., Mountlake Terrace
- March 7: 11 a.m. to noon, Marysville
- March 2: 8:30 a.m. Mountlake Terrace
- March 19: 8:30 a.m. Mountlake Terrace
- March 21: 11 a.m. to noon, Marysville
Beginning Internet: Feb 27 and March 4, 14, 27, 8:30 to 9:45 a.m., Lynnwood.
Internet basics: March 12, 8:30 a.m., Mountlake Terrace
Book-a-librarian tech session
- Mondays, 10 to 11 a.m. and 5 to 6 p.m., Stanwood
- Tuesdays, 3 to 4 p.m., Stanwood
- Thursdays, 3:15 to 4 p.m., Stanwood
Computers for beginners: Download ebooks, audiobooks, music and movies
- March 7: 9 to 10 a.m., Edmonds
- March 21: 2 to 3 p.m., Edmonds
Using email: March 27, 8:30 a.m., Mountlake Terrace
Getting the most out of Google: March 30, 8:30 a.m. Mountlake Terrace.
Everett Senior CenterIntroductory computer classes are offered every month. For a schedule, call the Carl Gipson center at 425-257-8780.
Everett Public LibraryIntro to MS Excel 2007: Noon to 2 p.m., Feb. 26. Free.
Other classes most Tuesdays; call 425-257-8000 for details.
Edmonds Senior CenterAshley Stewart, Herald Writer10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. March 4 and 5; $49 for members, $64 for nonmembers.
Downloading music, audio clips and movies: 2 to 3:30 p.m. March 21; free.
Facebook: 10 to 11:30 a.m. March 18 and 19; $49 for members, $64 for nonmembers.
Internet and email: 10 to 11:30 a.m. March 11 and 12; $30 for members, $40 for nonmembers.
Lynnwood Senior CenterComputer lab tutoring: 12:30 to 2 p.m. Tuesdays; $6 for members, $11 for nonmembers.
"Everything you want to know about computers:" 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays; $20 for members, $25 for nonmembers.
One-on-one technology coaching: 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays; free for members, $5 for nonmembers.
Introduction to social media and Facebook: 1 to 2:45 Thursdays; free.
Northshore Senior Center at Bothell
"Help! Where's my stuff?" data files recovery: 10 a.m. to noon March 19; $12 for members, $24 for nonmembers.
Safety first computing security practices: 9 to 11 a.m. March 9; free.
Introduction to Skype with live demo: 10 a.m. to noon March 25; free.
Navigating the internet: 1 to 3 p.m. March 6; free.
Snohomish Senior Center
One-on-one computer training by appointment on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To make an appointment, call the center at 360-568-0934.
Stillaguamish Senior Center
Introductory computer training from 9 a.m. to noon on the first and third Wednesdays of the month; $6 quarterly.
- Carl Gipson Senior Center: 3025 Lombard Ave., Everett; 425-257-8780; www.everettwa.org/seniors.
- East County Senior Center: 276 Sky River Parkway, Monroe; 360-794-6359; www.eastcountyseniorcenter.org.
- Edmonds Senior Center: 220 Railroad Ave.; 425-774-5555; www.edmondssc.org.
- Lynnwood Senior Center: 19000 44th Ave W.; 425-670-5050; www.ci.lynnwood.wa.us/seniors.
- Mountlake Terrace Senior Center: 5605 235th St. SW; 425-672-2407; www.mltseniorcenter.com.
- Northshore Senior Center: www.northshoreseniorcenter.org; Bothell, 10201 East Riverside Drive, 425-487-2441; Mill Creek, 15720 Main St.; 425-948-7170.
- Snohomish Senior Center: 506 Fourth St.; 360-568-0934; www.snohomishcenter.org.
- Stillaguamish Senior Center: 18308 Smokey Point Blvd., Arlington; 360-653-4551; www.stillycenter.com.
- Sno-Isle Libraries: 877-766-4753; www.sno-isle.org.
- Everett Public Library: 2702 Hoyt Ave.; 425-257-8010; www.epls.org.
More Life Headlines
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.