Rose McAvoy from Our Lady of Second Helpings is providing support, guidance and yummy recipes.
My family doesn't normally eat a lot of meat. In a typical month, we eat a vegetarian meal two or three times a week. Rose and I both agreed that continuing to eat less meat would be helpful for my budget.
Usually when I buy meat I am willing to spend extra money to buy a local, humanely raised product. Even on the USDA "Thrifty Food" budget, I still want to make a thoughtful purchase.
That's why I drove up to Silvana Meats. (There's a really great article about Silvana Meats from HeraldNet here.)
I ordered Combination #4 for just under $76. This bought me:
- 4 packs ground beef
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 ham steak
- 2 packs bacon
- chuck roast
- pork steak
- sirloin steak
- pork loin
- stew meat
But I feel good about buying local.
The MyPlate on My Budget experiment has already caused me to expand my normal shopping boundaries and explore other options. My 7-year-old and I had a fun drive up to Silvana together, and we talked about where food comes from the whole way.
That's something to feel good about too.
Follow MyPlate on My Budget on Pinterest
Most recent I Brake for Moms posts
- The Good Shoe-maritan: Teen was the hero while others sat by July 19
- When restrooms — and even life — don’t make sense July 12
- Emptying the kitchen — and our stomachs July 5
- Using a little magic to put my house in order June 28
- We've learned a lot from our TV dads over the years — which one best describes you? June 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.