The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Monroe Schools


Test scores move in wrong direction

The Monroe School Board says their schools are "good," however, according to the State Board of Education Achievement Index, only four Monroe School District schools are rated as "good" (equivalent grade letter "C") while seven are rated as "fair" (equivalent grade letter "D"). That equates to only 36 percent (one third) of Monroe schools actually rated as "good" and the other 64 percent (two thirds) received a lesser rating of "fair." In addition, Monroe eighth-grade state math test scores came in dead last, and third from last in reading amongst the 13 Snohomish County school districts! Last year eighth-graders scored 41.2 percent in math, compared to the state average of 55.5 percent. These students were actually doing better as forth-graders, scoring 54.1 percent compared to the state average 53.6 percent. In four years scores declined 12.9 percent! Last year these eighth-graders scored 60.6 percent, compared to the state average of 67.3 percent in reading. Once again these students were actually doing better as fourth-graders, scoring 70 percent compared to the state average 72.6 percent. In four years scores declined 9.4 percent! As fourth-graders, these students were above state averages in math, but below in reading. Now as eighth-graders their scores dropped by 24 percent in math and 9 percent in reading, well below the state average! Almost 40 percent of Monroe eighth-graders were unable to pass the state reading achievement test, or four out of ten students unable to pass! Almost 60 percent of MSD eighth-graders were unable to pass the state math achievementtest, or six out of 10 students unable to pass! Coming in dead last on math, and third to last on reading in the county should be unacceptable outcomes and does not equate to "good" schools. Strong schools will only come once the board commits to providing the necessary time devoted to teaching core subjects, retaining student when they continue to fall behind and providing the proper oversight of the education of our students. Link to county comparisons; http://socialcapitalreview.org/most-snohomish-districts-lag-on-state-reading-tests/ Debra Kolrud Monroe
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

loading...

Herald Editorial Board

Jon Bauer, Opinion Editor: jbauer@heraldnet.com

Carol MacPherson, Editorial Writer: cmacpherson@heraldnet.com

Neal Pattison, Executive Editor: npattison@heraldnet.com

Josh O'Connor, Publisher: joconnor@heraldnet.com

Have your say

Feel strongly about something? Share it with the community by writing a letter to the editor. Send letters by e-mail to letters@heraldnet.com, by fax to 425-339-3458 or mail to The Herald - Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We'll only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 250 words or less, we won’t ask you to shorten it. If your letter is published, please wait 30 days before submitting another. Have a question about letters? Contact Carol MacPherson at cmacpherson@heraldnet.com or 425-339-3472.

HeraldNet highlights

You decide
You decide: Is Snohomish the coolest small town in America?
One more yard
One more yard: It's hard to understand Seahawks' devastating call on goal line
13 days that changed destiny
13 days that changed destiny: How the Seahawks became a model NFL franchise
A galaxy far, far away
A galaxy far, far away: Get up close with real costumes from 6 'Star Wars' movies
SnoCoSocial