Blogger meet-up with chickens
Brian from The Real Housewife of Snohomish County invited my family to meet his chickens Chynna, Wendy, and Carnie in his Edmonds back yard. (OK, actually what happened was that me, in my chicken-crazed-frenzy, invited my entire family over to his house, and Brian graciously said yes!)
Brian has built an absolutely amazing, predator-proof chicken coop, which you can read about here. It even has rain gutters!
My son and I have been doing the math, and we think that after coop costs, Chynna, Wendy, and Carnie are probably laying eggs that cost about $4 a dozen. But wow! Those are some happy, well-cared-for chickens.
The MyPlate on My Budget project has really been making me think about the true cost of food. When you buy eggs for $1 a dozen at the store, those eggs are cheap for a reason, right? Somebody or some-being is probably paying a higher price.
Maybe that's why the idea of backyard chickens is so powerful to me. I would love to know that my breakfast was provided by happy chickens like the Wilson Phillips girls.
Most recent I Brake for Moms posts
- Trying to survive the family festival of winter sickness Jan. 18
- Treasurer’s job is so much harder than just counting pennies Jan. 11
- Becoming a published author takes perseverance Jan. 4
- Suffering from EADD — Exercise Attention Deficit Disorder Dec. 28
- Discovering the magic of Disney through kids’ eyes Dec. 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.