Mariners rotation set, and it includes rookie Brandon Maurer
And when the Mariners open their season next week, they will do so with a rookie in their rotation, because Brandon Maurer was impressive enough this spring to earn the No. 4 spot in Seattle's rotation. Maurer, a 23rd-round pick out of high school in 2008, has emerged as perhaps the biggest surprise of Spring Training for the Mariners (though you could argue that the Mariners ability to actually score runs is a bigger story). Maurer, 22, has never pitched above AA in his minor league career, but last year he pitched so well in Jackson that he was named the Southern League's pitcher of the year, making it clear that the Mariners had more than just a "Big Three" of James Paxton, Taijaun Walker and Danny Hultzen when it came to big-time pitching prospects.
The Mariners rotation will be Felix Hernandez, Hisashi Iwakuma, Joe Saunders, Maurer and Blake Beavan. The Mariners also announced that RHP Erasmo Ramirez, who earlier in spring was a candidate for the starting rotation, was optioned to AAA Tacoma, while right-hander Jeremy Bonderman was re-assigned to minor league camp.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Quotes from Pete Carroll's Monday Super Bowl week press conference Jan. 26
- Pete Carroll and Seahawks players stick up for their silent (and occasionally crotch-grabbing) running back Jan. 26
- Seahawks players not bothered by Brandon Browner's "try to break it" comment Jan. 26
- Brandon Browner says Patriots should go after Sherman and Thomas injuries Jan. 26
- Quotes from Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Russell Okung and Jermaine Kearse Jan. 25
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.