The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


HeraldNet Headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Monday, April 1, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

Robbery suspect faces new charge

Clark Johnson, who goes on trial in June for his role in a deadly home invasion robbery, pleads not guilty to a January break-in.

EVERETT -- Prosecutors say a month after taking part in a violent home invasion robbery in Marysville, Clark Johnson broke into an Everett house and terrorized the homeowner.
Johnson, 48, has been in jail for more than a year, awaiting trial on a bunch of charges stemming from a December 2011 heist that left one man dead. Prosecutors recently charged him with first-degree burglary for a different break-in that happened in January 2012.
Johnson has pleaded not guilty to the new charge.
He is scheduled to go to trial in June for his alleged part in the 2011 home invasion robbery. A group of heavily armed men busted into a Marysville home in search of two men who ripped off a drug dealer. A couple was held hostage and threatened while the crew attempted to draw the two men back to the house.
The robbery came to a violent end when someone in the crew mistook one of his own for a rival and shot him in the face.
Patrick "Bucky" Buckmaster was buried in a shallow grave in east Snohomish County.
Prosecutors allege that Johnson was part of the crew that broke into the house. Several other men already have pleaded guilty or been convicted at trial.
The shooter, Johnathan Frohs, is scheduled to go to trial in June.
Johnson is accused of carrying out another frightening heist, according to court papers recently filed in Snohomish Superior Court.
An Everett man was sleeping when he awoke to strange noises and saw light from a flashlight in his house. Two men came into his bedroom, threw a blanket over him and punched him, prosecutors wrote. They later wrapped duct tape around the blanket, trapping the man inside.
They ransacked the house. The suspects grilled the man about where he was hiding $25,000. The man said he didn't have any money. He estimated that they were in his home for about an hour. When he didn't hear them any longer, he attempted to call 911. The phone lines had been cut and his cellphone was missing. He set off his house alarm to alert police.
His wallet, credit cards, computer monitor and some important paperwork were missing.
Police believe the suspects kicked in the back door to get inside.
One of the man's credit cards was used at the Lynnwood Walmart about three hours after the burglary. Police were able to identify Johnson on surveillance video taken from the store, court papers said.
Police also located one of the stolen credit cards during a traffic stop. A woman told investigators she had driven Clark and Kenneth Rehak to a house in Everett. She said they were gone for about an hour and returned carrying a box of paperwork and a computer monitor. Rehak also was part of the home invasion robbery in Marysville.
He and Clark were arrested about a week later after a 13-hour standoff with police.
Rehak last year pleaded guilty to the Everett burglary and was sentenced to nearly 10 years.
Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463; hefley@heraldnet.com.
Story tags » EverettMarysvilleHome Invasion RobberyBurglary

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.

HeraldNet highlights

Epic river journey
Epic river journey: Woodway man traces Meriwether Lewis' route by kayak, bike
Knocked down, not out
Knocked down, not out: Bill Iffrig hasn't ruled out return to Boston Marathon
Getting shut out
Getting shut out: Supporters lobby WIAA to make lacrosse a high school sport
Boston Marathon
Boston Marathon: Everett's Adams: ‘A magic that no evil can eclipse’