Seahawks reportedly "closing in" on Antoine Winfield deal
Seahawks closing in on deal to have nickel CB Antoine Winfield join Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner in one of league's best secondariesAdding the 35-year-old Winfield would give Seattle a big upgrade at its nickel corner position, the spot played by Marcus Trufant last season. Trufant is currently an unrestricted free agent, and while the Seahawks have players on the roster who could fill that role, none have the experience of Winfield, who was a second-team All Pro in 2008 and a three-time Pro Bowler from 2008-2010.
— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) April 10, 2013
Already the Seahawks have what is arguably (is it even an argument anymore?) the best secondary in the NFL in cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner, and safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. Adding Winfield to the mix would only make that secondary even better, which has to be a scary proposition for opposing offenses.
For more on Winfield's game, be sure to check out this outstanding breakdown by the good folks over at Pro Football Focus.
The deal may be close, but it isn't done yet, as NFL.com's Ian Rapoport points out:
Getting questions on Antoine Winfield and the Seahawks. I know there is mutual interest. But source says "just talking" not imminent.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 10, 2013
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Marshawn Lynch reports to Seahawks training camp July 31
- Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson at it again, and other Seahawks links July 30
- Jesse Williams injured and other Seahawks training camp notes July 30
- Pete Carroll on Marshawn Lynch's continued absence, and other training camp notes July 29
- Seahawks TE Anthony McCoy suffers another apparent Achilles injury July 29
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.