They've included $100,000 for implementation of House Bill 1817 which would make undocumented immigrant students eligible for state financial aid. You can find it on page 167 of the budget bill.
The House passed the bill by a margin of 77-20. But it died in the Senate Higher Education Committee as the chairwoman, Sen. Barbara Bailey, R-Oak Harbor said the state could not afford it.
And Senate Majority Leader Rodney Tom, D-Medina, has insisted it is dead as well.
But veterans of the legislative process know better than to pronounce any legislation dead until lawmakers adjourn.
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- Murray backs Iran nuclear agreement Aug. 25
- The issue of ‘failing’ schools slips under the radar Aug. 20
- Inslee offers 'guidance' on carbon emissions cap, desires adoption in a year Aug. 14
- There’s no ignoring the chatter around county executive race Aug. 13
- Democrats block attempt to hold earlier presidential primary Aug. 11
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.