They've included $100,000 for implementation of House Bill 1817 which would make undocumented immigrant students eligible for state financial aid. You can find it on page 167 of the budget bill.
The House passed the bill by a margin of 77-20. But it died in the Senate Higher Education Committee as the chairwoman, Sen. Barbara Bailey, R-Oak Harbor said the state could not afford it.
And Senate Majority Leader Rodney Tom, D-Medina, has insisted it is dead as well.
But veterans of the legislative process know better than to pronounce any legislation dead until lawmakers adjourn.
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- Who will Republicans vote for in county executive race? Oct. 1
- They’re talking McCleary again, but that won’t be enough Sep. 24
- House, Senate leaders urge Kelley to resign as auditor Sep. 23
- Eyman turns over bank records, court hearing reset Sep. 17
- State Democrats eager to know who’s taking on Inslee Sep. 17
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.