Dispatchers received multiple 911 calls around 1:50 p.m. reporting smoke and flames coming from a two-story house at the end of a long driveway in the 8700 block of 236th Street SW.
"Flames were visible in a window above the garage and smoke was coming from the roof when firefighters arrived," Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and kept the flames contained to two rooms on the upper level of the home.
Fire and heavy smoke damage on the second floor left the house uninhabitable, Hynes said.
The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the homeowner, a man in his 60s. He does not have insurance.
Fire investigators determined the fire was started accidentally by misplaced smoking materials in a room above the garage.
View Fire, 4-10-13 in a larger map
More Local News Headlines
A series of fortunate events Owner sentenced to 2 years for torching family restaurant in south Everett Fire merger talks in Marysville stalled Detectives working to ID remains found in 1979 on Spencer Isalnd Scary stroll in Snohomish Front Porch: Snohomish mulls uses for Hal Moe Pool site Community Calendar School Winners
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.