Home & Garden calendar
Tulip Festival: The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival runs through April 30 with driving tours, bus tours and festival events all month long. Daffodils are already in bloom, but tulips take their own time. Check the festival website for interactive maps and festival events, www.tulipfestival.org or see the Facebook page, www.facebook.com/SkagitValleyTulipFestival. You can pick up maps and a brochure of events at the festival office, 311 W. Kincaid St., Mount Vernon. You can also 360-428-5959.
Early Bloomers Plant Sale: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 13 at the Washington Park Arboretum, 2300 Arboretum Drive E., Seattle. Parking and admission are free. Plants include early-blooming perennials such as hellebores, epimediums, erythroniums, lungworts and primrose and hardy fuchsias, young trees and shrubs, as well as a collection of New Zealand ornamentals. Sales benefit the arboretum foundation. For information, go to www.arboretumfoundation.org or call 206-325-4510.
Transform Your Home with Paint Color: Darylene Dennon, president of National Painting Contractors Association of America, and Cyntia Chomos, Feng Shui consultant and color designer give a free workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon April 13 at the Mukilteo Library, 4675 Harbour Pointe Blvd. Call 425-493-8202 for more information.
Meerkerk Magic: The rhododendrons are in bloom and children are invited to make forest fairies from noon to 4 p.m. April 13 at Meerkerk Gardens, 3531 Meerkerk Lane, Greenbank. Adults $5, children are admitted free. See www.meerkerkgardens.org or call 360-678-1912 or 360-222-0121 for more information.
Snohomish County Dahlia Society Tuber sales: 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. April 14 at Legion Hall, Legion Park, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. A second sale day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 27 at Stocker Farms, 10622 Airport Way, Snohomish.
Potting Day: The Arlington Haggen Food and Pharmacy, 20115 74th Ave. NE, offers two potting days 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 13 and 20. Bring your pots and buy plants from Haggen's and they will be potted for you. The Arlington Garden Club will do the potting on April 20. Members will also help you select and arrange your pots.
Pond classes: Falling Water Gardens offers free classes in creating and caring for a pond, 17516 Highway 203, Monroe; 360-863-1400, www.fallingwatergardens.com
* April 14: 1 to 2 p.m. simple tasks to maintain your water feature all season long.
* April 18: 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Night at the Garden class on low voltage lighting. Wine and snacks will be available.
* April 21: 1 to 2 p.m. Bubblers and spitters -- water features for small spaces or less expensive projects.
* April 25: 7 to 9 p.m. Ladies Night at Falling Water Gardens. Learn to create a glass globe hanging garden. Wine and hors d'oeuvres.
* April 28: 1 to 2 p.m. Pond Building 101. Everything you need to know.
Natural yard care: The city of Everett, the Snohomish County WSU Extension and the Snohomish Conservation District present a series. Call the Snohomish Conservation District, 425-335-5634, ext. 112, for more information.
April 17: Soils, Pests and Compost, Oh My! 6 to 8 p.m. at the Everett Public Library, 2702 Hoyt Ave, Everett.
* April 24: Choosing Plants and Lawn Care, 6 to 8 p.m. at the Everett Library.
* May 1: Smart Watering: Save Water and Time! 6 to 8 p.m. at the library.
* May 4: Rain Garden Tour, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Meet at Washington Oakes, 1717 Rockefeller Ave., Everett, to take this walking tour.
"Year of Plenty": Author Pastor Craig Goodwin will talk about the year his family existed only on local food amd materials, homegrown, homemade or used, 9:30 a.m. to noon April 20 at St. John's Episcopal Church. Local refreshments will be served and there will be door prizes. St. John's Episcopal Church is at 913 Second St., Snohomish. Call 360-568-4622 or go to www.stjohnsnohomish.org for more information.
Arboretum tours: Reservations are now being taken for 2013 custom group tours of the Evergreen Arboretum & Gardens. The group tours are available all year by calling 425-257-8597. There is no charge, but donations to the Evergreen Arboretum Foundation are welcome. The arboretum is at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett . See www.evergreenarboretum.com or email email@example.com.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and some classes require registration. Call 425-257-8597 for reservations. See www.evergreenarboretum.com for more about the arboretum.
* April 20: Hydrangeas with Wink Cushman, master gardener and past president of the arboretum.
* May 18: Attracting birds to your backyard with Linda Woolsey, member of the local and National Audubon Society.
* June 15: Dahlias with Dick Weakley, master gardener.
* July 20: Summer care of Japanese maples with Trevor Coleman of Sunnyside Nursery.
* Aug. 17: Native plants with Andy Sudkamp, a horticulturist and biology teacher. Meet at the arboretum entrance for a tour.
* Sept. 21: Fall/winter containers with Dee Drake, arboretum volunteer. Registration necessary. Meet at the arboretum entrance.
* Oct. 19: Putting your Garden to Bed with Wink Cushman. master gardener. Meet at the Arboretum entrance
* Nov. 16: Holiday natural centerpieces with Marylou Hart, arboretum board member and master gardener. Registration necessary.
* Dec. 7: Arboretum gift-making workshop for kids, noon to 2 p.m., with Hap Wertheimer, past arboretum president and art teacher. Registration necessary.
Interior design classes: Kelly DuByne of Distinctive Interior Designs and Monika Krisofferson of Efficient Oranization NW offer the following classes. Check www.distinctiveinteriordesigns.net, 425-238-3678, or www.EfficientOrganizationNW.com, 425-220-8905.
Ask a Designer: Free color consults April 6 and May 4 with Kelly DuByne at Ace Hardware, 303 91st Ave. NE, Lake Stevens. Call 425- 334-7630 to sign up for 20-minute consusltation.
Get Psyched about Color: Free brown-bag lunch session June 26 at Chapell Hill Fire Station 1825 S. Lake Stevens Road, Lake Stevens.
Everett Parks & Recreation: Classes from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Van Valey House, 2130 Colby Ave., Everett. Register at 425-257-8300, ext. 2, www.everettwa.org. 6 to 7:30pm $25.
* April 16: Paper Control for Busy Families.
* April 25: Paint Your Home Interior Like a Pro: Tips and Tricks to Make Your Color Sing.
* May 14: Organize Your Time and Kids to Get Out the Door on Time.
* May 23: Creative Ways to Infuse Color into Your Home.
* June 4: Declutter, Organize and Park in Your Garage.
Lake Stevens School District: Classes from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Educational Service Center, 12309 22nd St. NE. Lake Stevens. $20. Register at 425-335-1500, www.lkstevens.wednet.edu.
* April 23: DeClutter Your Home and Decrease Your Stress.
* April 25: The Significance of Color.
* May 9: Creating the Ultimate Outdoor Space.
* May 21: DeClutter, Organize and Park in Your Garage.
Marysville Parks & Recreation: Classes 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Marysville Library, 6120 Grove St. $22. Register at 360-363-8400, www.marysvillewa.gov.
* April 18: Creating the Ultimate Outdoor Space to Love Your Patio.
* May 23: The Significance of Color.
* June 6: Paint Your Home Like a Pro.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
Christianson's Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com.
McAuliffe's Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com.
Molbak's Garden & Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com.
My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com.
Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; pinecreeknursery.com.
Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com.
Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net.
The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com.
Wight's Home & Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com.
Got a gardening question? You can call the master gardener hotline from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 425-357-6010 or visit the Home & Garden section at snohomish.wsu.edu.
To submit an item for the Home & Garden calendar, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.