Tulip Festival: The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival runs through April 30 with driving tours, bus tours and festival events all month long. Tulips are in full bloom. Check the festival website for interactive maps and festival events, www.tulipfestival.org, or go to the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SkagitValleyTulipFestival. You can pick up maps and a brochure of events at the festival office, 311 W. Kincaid St., Mount Vernon. You can also call 360-428-5959.
Dahlia sale: The Snohomish County Dahlia Society tuber and plant sale is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 27 at Stocker Farms, 10622 Airport Way, Snohomish. Call 360-659-8687 or see www.scdahlias.org.
Pond classes: Falling Water Gardens offers free classes in creating and caring for a pond, 17516 Highway 203, Monroe; 360-863-1400, www.fallingwatergardens.com.
- April 25: 7 to 9 p.m. Ladies Night at Falling Water Gardens. Learn to create a glass globe hanging garden. Wine and hors d'oeuvres.
- April 28: 1 to 2 p.m. Pond Building 101. Everything you need to know.
Rhodie show: The Komo Kulshan Chapter of the American Rhododendron Society is holding a free truss Show 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 27 at Christianson's Nursery. Visitors can vote for the People's Choice Award. Members of Komo Kulshan will be available to answer questions about growing, planting and caring for rhododendrons and azaleas. Contact: Carol Torset, 360-856-2410, or go to www.flounder.ca/komokulshan/index.asp.
Natural yard care: The city of Everett, the Snohomish County WSU Extension and the Snohomish Conservation District present a series. Call the Snohomish Conservation District, 425-335-5634, ext. 112, for more information.
- May 1: Smart Watering: Save Water and Time! 6 to 8 p.m. at the library.
- May 4: Rain Garden Tour, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Meet at Washington Oakes, 1717 Rockefeller Ave., Everett, to take this walking tour.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and some classes require registration. Call 425-257-8597 to register. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com to learn more.
- May 18: Attracting birds to your back yard with Linda Woolsey, member of the local and National Audubon Society
- June 15: Dahlias with Dick Weakley, master gardener
- July 20: Summer care of Japanese maples with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery
- Aug. 17: Native plants with Andy Sudkamp, a horticulturist and biology teacher. Meet at the arboretum entrance for a tour.
- Sept. 21: Fall/winter containers with Dee Drake, arboretum volunteer. Registration necessary. Meet at the arboretum entrance.
- Oct. 19: Putting your Garden to Bed with Wink Cushman, master gardener. Meet at the arboretum entrance.
Ask a Designer: Free color consult May 4 with Kelly DuByne at Ace Hardware, 303 91st Ave. NE, Lake Stevens. Call 425-334-7630 to sign up for 20-minute consultation.
Get Psyched about Color: Free brown-bag lunch session June 26 at Chapell Hill Fire Station 1825 S. Lake Stevens Road, Lake Stevens.
Everett Parks & Recreation: Classes from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Van Valey House, 2130 Colby Ave., Everett. Register at 425-257-8300, ext. 2, www.everettwa.org. 6 to 7:30pm $25.
- April 25: Paint Your Home Interior Like a Pro: Tips and Tricks to Make Your Color Sing
- May 14: Organize Your Time and Kids to Get Out the Door on Time
- May 23: Creative Ways to Infuse Color into Your Home
- June 4: Declutter, Organize and Park in Your Garage
- April 25: The Significance of Color
- May 9: Creating the Ultimate Outdoor Space
- May 21: DeClutter, Organize and Park in Your Garage
- May 23: The Significance of Color
- June 6: Paint Your Home Like a Pro
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
- Christianson's Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com
- McAuliffe's Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com
- Molbak's Garden & Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com
- My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com
- Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; www.pinecreeknursery.com
- Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com
- Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net
- The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com
- Wight's Home & Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com
Got a gardening question? You can call the master gardener hotline from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 425-357-6010 or go to the Home & Garden section at snohomish.wsu.edu.
To submit an item for the Home & Garden calendar, e-mail email@example.com.
More Home and Garden Headlines
Use your garden to bring holiday cheer inside Gardening events in Snohomish County and nearby Pilgrims learned, with lots of help, to survive and give thanks Grant Plant Pick: Bald Cypress ‘Green’ antique napkin rings are cool again Hellebores and conifers are hard to beat for winter wonderlands Plant of Merit: Rose “Orange Waves” Conference centers on the future of our farms, forests and food
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.