Heading out to mountains? Beware of avalanches
If you're heading out to play in the mountains anytime soon, you're going to want to check out the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center's website.
They have special alerts in affect after some areas in the Cascades received up to 2 feet of snow.
Avalanche risk is high in many areas today, and could be an issue throughout the weekend. If you're going to go play in the snow, be sure the read the website first and, if in doubt, try again another day.
Also, the Washington Trails Association has a useful post on finding safe places to hike.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Weekend reading: The Pacific Crest Trail March 8
- Upcoming events to support Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue Team March 7
- Take a guided kayak tour on Lake Sammamish, learn about wildlife March 5
- Outdoor events: Pack light, learn about slugs, Fred Beckey, more March 5
- Little Si is a short, sweet trail you can do nearly year-round March 3
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.