If you're heading out to play in the mountains anytime soon, you're going to want to check out the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center's website.
They have special alerts in affect after some areas in the Cascades received up to 2 feet of snow.
Avalanche risk is high in many areas today, and could be an issue throughout the weekend. If you're going to go play in the snow, be sure the read the website first and, if in doubt, try again another day.
Also, the Washington Trails Association has a useful post on finding safe places to hike.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Section of Pacific Crest Trail closed due to fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness July 24
- Best shots: Some of my favorite recent outdoor photos July 21
- Photographers catch baby orca 'leaping for joy' July 20
- Student learn leadership, love of nature on trips in North Cascades July 19
- Upcoming outdoor events July 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.