Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.
More Local News Headlines
Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River Three weeks out, only four 911 texts have been valid Lord Hill levee repairs to start July 29 County deputy director named president of state engineers association State’s oldest full-time worker on the job at EdCC Less than a week before election, only 9.1 percent of ballots returned Accident victim has endured, thanks to his family, police officer Red Cross on the lookout for heroes
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.