Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.
More Local News Headlines
When he saw his neighbor’s home on fire, Kaiden, 17, didn’t hesitate Edmonds hires firm to tackle downtown traffic snarl Family holds vigil for man who died in Island County Jail Front Porch: Fire districts open houses 2 arrested in fatal shooting of teen near Lynnwood Judge says molestation trial of former police sergeant can proceed Copper-wire theft knocks out power near Cathcart Police in Mountlake Terrace seek stabbing suspect
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.