Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.
More Local News Headlines
Driver wipes out 5 cars at Everett repair shop Former county ombudsman John Koster files $950K claim Dream shared on social-media prompts EvCC to boost security 1:29 p.m. Tulalip Tribes give nonprofits $5.8M in 'Raising Hands' initiative Lawmakers seek input on education funding in Everett on Tuesday Cascade senior wants to expand her interests in robotics Audit: City of Snohomish over-claimed $125K for roundabout costs Arlington thrift shop gives special-needs kids real-world skills
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.